Friday, February 2, 2007

And I Never, Ever, Ever Do a Thing About the Weather, 'Cause the Weather Never, Ever Does a Thing For Me


Firstly, bonus points to those of you (like there are even five people who read this) who laughed and understood the title. Alice In Wonderland, how shall I say, Rocks My Socks! (I think that's what you kids are saying these days.)

It is currently fifteen minutes after midnight on the second day of Febuary and I just came in from walking in the snow. Why was I walking in the snow? Well, as you know, it almost never snows in Arkansas, at least not in the places I've lived in the last 21 years. When you get snow, you enjoy it. And this isn't really Arkansas snow either. Arkansas snow is 1 part snow, 1 part ice, and 1 part freezing rain. You take what you can get, but the snow that's falling tonight is real snow. This is movie snow. This is the snow that makes a story romantic or a graveyard peaceful. This is fluffy white goodness sucked from the sky. This is like a pauper looking in a rich man's window. These are flakes, actual flakes, of snow. They glide down, assaulting the dirty winter landcape in a blanket of uniformity. It's like the calming touch of a woman's presence in the midst of a house full of guys. It blankets everything without discretion in forgiveness for its ugliness and lack of color. It decorates with uniformity, maintaining an outline of its canvas's original self, but giving a touch of itself to the design.

Ok, so I'm waxing into what is dangerously close to bad poetry (like there's any other kind), but the snow really is cool. So, I just wanted to say, "Thanks God. Thanks for the snow. Thanks for this little glimpse of the first class that is Heaven". It makes even this ugly world seem divine.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

//(I think that's what you kids are saying these days.)//

You big dork. I don't think you've cornered the market on geriatrics just yet.

It's amazing what snow will do for one's artistic flair, no?

--Jamie

Eloise Richardson said...

That's so neat! I'm probably only like the seventh person to read this, and it's been years since it was posted (I was born in 2008), but I understood the title before you explained it! I live in Louisiana, so snow rarely comes around here, either, but when it does it's so much fun! I can't blame you for being out that late; I would have done the same.
God bless!
-- Eloise