Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Packing and Unpacking

I'm so sick of being in more than one place at a time. My parents were divorced before I was a teenager and then I began to live in more than one place. I lived out of a bag for half of every summer and every other weekend and I hated it. I longed for the day when I would live in one place and stay there almost all of the time.

Then I went to seminary. I thought, "Now, I'll live in one place." Nope. Britt and I started dating our last semester of our Senior year of High School and there was no way that I could stay away from her that much. We went in to Batesville many weekends when she was in Conway and later when she lived in Little Rock before we were married. In between those times, she actually lived in Batesville, so I was back and forth there all of the time. I did it because I loved and missed her. It was worth it, but I still wanted to sit still for a little while.

Then we got married. I thought, "Now, I'll live in one place." and we did, for a little while. Then, Meadow View in Malvern called me as their Youth Minister. I love them and would not give up my time there, but it was an hour and a half round trip three-four times a week. Not only that, but we spent many weekends staying in Malvern. I had my oil changed on March 17th. On April 20th, I rolled over three thousand miles. THREE THOUSAND MILES in one month. I want to sit still. Meadow View was worth the time, but I want it to be the exception and not the rule when I spend a weekend away from home.

So, what? Well, I packed up my office at Meadow View yesterday. I still have some furniture, but all of my little stuff is packed up and sitting at the apartment waiting to be unpacked. Tomorrow is my last NBC at Meadow View and Sunday will be my last day. I'm sad to leave many of the people that I've come to know, but I'm ready to move on to my next phase of life. Less than a month from now Britt and I will have our Bachelor's Degrees and be ready to move into post-school work. One month and one day from now, we'll arrive back from our vacation at WDW and begin to load a truck to move to Fayetteville. I'll live in the same town where I work and go to church. It's going to be awesome. I'll finally live in one place. I hate that this has been a long time coming, but I'm happy that I'll be able to appreciate one of the simple pleasures that make life easier.

1 comment:

Nathan Rogers said...

Hope things work well for ya. I have found that the place you settle is usually the place you least expect - like Cave City! Hope thing go great in Fayettenam. I will be keeping tabs. (here and from bro. Neil)